Wednesday 1 February 2012

Never Let Me Go

This is going to be a review on Never Let Me Go. I watched the film a couple of weeks ago on my holidays. I thought it was such a poignant and deep movie. It explored the injustices and unethical side of forced organ donation, through an alternate history. I really felt the last line in the film by Kathy: "What I'm not sure about is if our lives have been so different from the lives of the people we save. We all complete. Maybe none of us really understand what we've lived through or feel we've had enough time". This scene really pulled my heartstrings. The story starts off in Horsham where three children befriend each other and grow up together. They don't know why they are parent-less and the reason for their existence until their new teacher Miss Lucy informs them so; that they were made to donate their organs to their "originals" once they reach adulthood. Kathy and Tommy hide their feelings for one another from Ruth; the film centers around this love triangle. When they reach adulthood they are moved into cottages in the countryside. Eventually Kathy leaves and the relationship between the three become strained, until they meet again years later. I won't spoil it for you with the ending. Although I have to say that I was left feeling a little angry that they would just accept their lives and not fight for their rights. I would be extremely scared if this happened in reality in the future. I don't believe in making others suffer. I felt that, in the film, the "original" with the health problems could have learned to deal with the fact they had cancer instead of letting a clone of themselves be created purely for purpose of saving their own life. I thought that was extremely selfish. I didn't feel I sympathised with the "originals" at all. In the film, the schoolmaster, Miss Emily, tells them: "We took away your art because we thought it would reveal your souls. Or to put it more finely, we did it to see if you had any souls at all." That was extremely horrible. Kathy and Tommy didn't get to spend enough time together because of Ruth, which made me mad. And the fact that these forced transplants were normal and accepted, really made me mad. But I have to say that this was one of my favourite movies of all time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment